New York City, NY – More than 8,500 runners and walkers on 200 corporate teams participated in this year’s Marcum Workplace Challenge at Jones Beach State Park on Tuesday, to raise funds for four local charities. In total, 12,000 Long Islanders turned out for what promises to be the year that carries the event over the $1 million fundraising threshold. Final fundraising results will be known in the fall.
First-place finishers included the following athletes:
- Men: David Kilgore, Runner’s Edge (17:44)
- Women: Marissa Cossaro and Sara Rosenzweig (tie) – elitefeats (21:49)
- Top Dog Male: Brendan Dagan – elitefeats (20:34)
- To Dog Female: Elena Taphouse – Catholic Health Services (26:15)
- Female Wheelchair athlete: Taryn Maudsley, Ergonomic Group (1:04:55)
- Male Wheelchair athlete: Ken Kunken, Nassau County District Attorney’s Office (1:12:42)
The Marcum Workplace Challenge has raised more than $930,000 to date for the Children’s Medical Fund of New York, Long Island Cares – The Harry Chapin Food Bank, Long Island Children’s Museum, and Nassau County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
The 2019 event was emceed by WCBS Long Island reporter Jennifer McLogan. Officials including Marcum’s Long Island managing partner, Carolyn Mazzenga, and Race Director Mindy Davidson were joined at the starting line by Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, who then ran as a member of the Marcum LLP team, and Hempstead Town Supervisor Laura Gillen.
Marcum, a national accounting firm and the largest on Long Island, has been title sponsor of the 3.5-mile run-walk for charity since 2006. The event is managed by the Greater Long Island Running Club.
Other lead sponsors this year include the following Long Island companies:
- Jumbotron – Bethpage Federal Credit Union
- Corporate Village – Ergonomic Group
- Platinum – Capital One
- Corporate – Empire National Bank, PSEG-LI, Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits of New York, Telephonics, Widex
- Technology- Marcum Technology
- Entertainment – National Grid
- Contributor Sponsors – Hub International, Soil Mechanics
- Media – WCBS/WLNY, Long Island Business News, WBAB/WBLI
Another highlight of this year’s event was the first-ever Marcum Workplace Challenge Beer, developed by the 23 member breweries of the Long Island Brewers Guild. The custom microbrew is currently available for purchase in cans or on tap in exchange for a contribution to the event beneficiaries, at participating breweries during Craft Cares Week, August 2-10. For more information, click here.
Marcum LLP is one of the largest independent public accounting and advisory services firms in the nation, with offices in major business markets throughout the U.S., as well as Grand Cayman, China, and Ireland. Headquartered in New York City, Marcum provides a full spectrum of traditional tax, accounting, and assurance services; advisory, valuation, and litigation support; managed accounting services; and an extensive portfolio of specialty and niche industry practices. The Firm serves both privately held and publicly traded companies, as well as nonprofit and social sector entities, high net worth individuals, private equity funds, and hedge funds, with a focus on middle-market companies and closely held family businesses. Marcum is a member of the Marcum Group, an organization providing a comprehensive array of professional services. For more information, visit www.marcumllp.com.