Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Marcum Workplace Challenge?
The Marcum Workplace Challenge is a 3.5 mile run/walk open to teams of employees, friends and family from corporations, non-profits and governmental agencies. It is a great team-building/morale boosting/networking event that is also “Long Island’s biggest office picnic!”
The event has raised more than $900,000 for our charity beneficiaries.
- Beneficiaries? Which ones?
- The Marcum Workplace Challenge is proud to support THESE four charity beneficiaries.
- Do I need to register as part of a team or can I run as an individual?
You need to be a part of a team. You can create a team for your company. There is no minimum or maximum number of participants per team.
- How do I register a team?
- On the REGISTRATION page, download the Company Captain Checklist and the Team Captain Management Guide to help you with the process.
- What is the cost to register?
$24 (through June 1)
$28 (June 2 – July 26, midnight)
$35 (July 27 through July 30)
(Cash, checks and credit cards will be accepted on race day).
- Can my friends and family also register?
- Please check your company’s policy. The event, itself, does allow that, but it is up to each company.
- Is there a minimum age to participate?
- There is no minimum age. However, a participant on a team MUST be 18 in order to be submitted on a scorecard or for scoring purposes.
- Are spectators allowed?
- Spectators are welcome and there is no fee!
- Does the Team Captain have to register for the event?
- Yes. The Team Captain must register if he/she wants to participate in the 3.5 mile run/walk.
- What is a Top Dog?
- A Top Dog is the most senior executive at your company (ex: CEO, COO, CFO, Senior Partner, Director, Principal) who is participating in the event. A company must have at least 5 participating members in order for a Top Dog to be submitted. It is not mandatory to submit a Top Dog.
- I won’t be able to participate; can I still donate to the beneficiaries?
- Yes! Please click HERE.
- How do I reserve space in The Ergonomic Group Corporate Village?
Please complete the online Site Reservation Form, no later than June 14, available HERE.
If you will be putting up a tent, you must also send in the NYS Tent Permit application, which you can find HERE.
- Is there a cost to reserve space in The Ergonomic Group Corporate Village?
- No. Reserving space is FREE!
- When do my delivery trucks have to be out of The Ergonomic Group Corporate Village?
- Vendor and delivery trucks cannot enter The Ergonomic Group Corporate Village after 3:30 p.m. and must be removed no later than 4 p.m. Break down/load out should not be attempted while the event is occurring. Trucks will not be permitted back into the event area until 9:30 p.m. Please plan accordingly.
- Any security procedures?
- Per the NY State Parks Department, rental companies should expect to have all equipment inspected prior to entering the event area and all vehicles will be inspected each time they enter the event space.
- What if it rains on Race Day?
- The event is rain or shine.
- When should I arrive?
- We recommend that you arrive no later than 6 p.m. if company policy allows. There are plenty of attendees who do arrive earlier, as the festivities start gearing up around 5 p.m.
- Where should I park?
- Parking will be available in Parking Field 5 (which is generally full by 5:30 p.m.), with overflow parking in Field 4. Some participants also like to use Parking Field 6 and walk through the tunnel to the event site at Parking Field 5.
- What time does the race start?
- The starting horn sounds at 7 p.m.
- Is there a cut-off time to finish?
- Can I start walking/running before or after the official start?
- No. All participants must start with the starter’s horn at 7 p.m. and not before. They must also complete the full course. Those caught “cutting the course” are a safety hazard for those running the race and will also risk disqualification.
- Where is the Start/Finish line?
- In the middle of Parking Field 5
- Are there Water Stops along the course?
- There is a pre-race water stop near the start line; water stops at miles 1, 2 and 3; and a water stop after the finish line, at the Post Race Refreshment Stop.
- Are there Mile Markers?
- There are mile markers at every ½ mile along the course.
- Will there be ice available after the race?
- Yes. Participants are handed ice bags after they come through the finish line.
- Where are the Information/Registration Tents?
- In Parking Field 5, parallel to the entrance to the Ergonomic Group Corporate Village.
- Can I bring my dog?
- No. Dogs are not allowed at Jones Beach State Park.
- Can I use a baby jogger/stroller?
- No. You are welcome to use strollers throughout the Ergonomic Group Corporate Village and near the tents. But for safety reasons, baby joggers and strollers are NOT allowed anywhere on the course during the 3.5 mile run/walk.
- Are I-pods/music devices/phones with headphones allowed?
- Due to safety reasons, we discourage the use of I-pods and other music devices using headphones.
- Where is …
- Medical Tent: At the end of the Finish Line.
- Goody Bag/T-Shirt Tent: Along the south side of Parking Field 5 under striped tents. They will be open from 4 to 8:45 p.m.
- Bathrooms: A Comfort Station is located near the Concession Stand by Zach’s Bay. There are also porta-potties just west of the T-shirt tents, near the Start/Finish Area.
- Volunteer Check-In: In the Information Tent.
- The Ergonomic Group Corporate Village Check-In: In the Information Tent.
- Scorecard Turn-In: In the Information Tent.
- How do I submit my Team Results?
- Team Captains to can use the Online Results Reporting link that will be provided to them. Or, scorecards may be handed in at the Information Tent from 7:30 to 9:00 PM
- Are there awards?
Yes. We give out a variety of awards, on race night and in the days after. View all of the awards HERE.
- More info about the Awards Ceremony?
- The Award Ceremony starts at approximately 8:20 p.m. at the Awards Stage, near the band, in The Ergonomic Group Corporate Village.